Tuesday, April 11, 2017

ALLOW MYSELF TO INTRODUCE MYSELF

Hello, my name is Drago, and I'm a Sportsaholic.

 As long as I can remember sports has been a passion of mine. Passion might not even be a strong enough word to do my fandom justice. To begin, I have been an Edmonton Oilers fan since birth, I shall also point out that it is no coincidence that during the season I was born, that they won their 1st Stanley Cup. Through thick and thin the Oilers have always been and always will be my team. I have been to over 70 NHL games in Edmonton, Calgary, Tampa Bay & Dallas. I love to go on sports trips and experience other teams, arenas, stadiums and game day presentations.


After the NHL came WWE, or WWF as it was when I started watching. However, my 1st wrestling memory came from the AWA when the dastardly Corporal Kirschner attacked Superfly Jimmy Snuka by pushing him off the top rope and piledrove him on the concrete floor causing the infamous crimson mask on Snuka. I grew up a Hulkamaniac, wildly cheering for everything Hulk Hogan did, as most people did back in the 80's. Wrestling was something I never grew out of, I am just as much enthralled today as I was back then. It even compelled me to step into the squared circle myself, but that's another story for another day. I have been to 7 of the last 9 Wrestlemania shows. Anyone who is a fan should have this on their bucket list, it is an incredible weekend of events. My current favorite wrestler is John Cena and I own 74 different t-shirts of his. The hardcore Wrestlemania crowds would always give me the gears over being a grown adult wearing Cena merch and cheering for him, but I didn't care, the man is a legend.

I watched my 1st World Cup of Soccer in 1990, and since then I have watched every single World Cup and Euro Cup that has happened. I have a deep appreciation for the beautiful game, all the diving aside of course. I am a long suffering English National Team fan, they find new ways to lose every tournament. Attending a World Cup is high on my sports bucket list.

One Sunday evening in January 1992, I was flipping channels when I came across a football game between the Washington Redskins, led by a Canadian quarterback named Mark Rypien and the Buffalo Bills. I learned this was called the Super Bowl and from that moment on I was hooked. I started cheering for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, solely because of their creamsicle orange jersey's and not because of their skill level, which at that time they were among the league's worst. My faith was rewarded in January of 2003 when my Bucs beat the Raiders to win the Super Bowl. My awesome friends all came out to cheer against the Bucs and me but they proceeded to take the Raiders to the woodshed for one of the most lopsided defeats in Super Bowl history. My favorite player of all time is, without a shadow of a doubt, Tom Brady. I've been to 7 NFL games in San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Seattle & Oakland.

I became an MLB fan during the Toronto Blue Jays World Series run in 1992 thanks to my homeroom teacher who put the games on for us to watch. I became a New York Yankees fan the 1st time I saw those pinstripe uniforms. It helped matters when my 2 favorite players at the time, Tino Martinez from the Seattle Mariners and former Blue Jay David Cone were acquired by the Yankees. During a time when the Oilers were having to sell off all their high priced players because they could no longer afford them, the Yankees became my guilty pleasure team because they had more money than everyone else and would sign All-Star free agent after All-Star free agent. They were basically a fantasy team. In September of 2015, I finally made it to my 1st MLB regular season game as I saw the San Francisco Giants host the San Diego Padres.

All told, I have seen NHL, AHL, WHL, NFL, CFL, NCAA, MLB, AAA, AA, A, NBA, WWE, NXT, ROH & EVOLVE & NLL, along with various other minor leagues in all different sports. Bottom line, I love sports and I want to share my thoughts and experiences with whoever, if any, happens to stumble across this Page.




No comments:

Post a Comment